Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wheat-Free Pizza #1

I was majorly urging for pizza over the weekend.  For me, I don't care if it has crust or not because I'm all about the toppings!  However, my hubby was intrigued by the concept of a wheat-free pizza crust.  I  have 3 recipes on hand to try out.  The one I made below is from a Suzanne Somers recipe contest and included in her book Fast and Easy.

It is actually for "mini" pepperoni pizza's.  After I prepped the crust and put it in the oven, I realized I should have doubled it for my purposes.  So I'm including the recipe I used and then I added to it to make it a bit more of my own.  Enjoy!

Wheat-Free Pizza  

The Crust
1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese, at room temperature
2 eggs
Salt & Pepper to taste
*Basil, onion & garlic powder to taste (I added these)
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese

My Toppings
4 Chicken bratwurst
Mushrooms
Onions
Green Pepper
Tomato Sauce
Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
In a medium bowl, blend together cream cheese & eggs with a wooden spoon.  Add salt & pepper (basil, onion powder, garlic powder).  Add Parmesan cheese and stir until combined.  Pour into prepared dish.  Bake for 17 mins, or until golden brown.  Let crust cool for 10 minutes.  (if you notice below you can see where I did a bit of taste testing on the crust... well, ok... I was hungry!)



Sautee mushrooms, onions and green onions in a skillet.  Put in a bowl when done.  Crumble chicken bratwurst into skillet with more onions and cook until done.  Add prior ingredients back in and add tomato sauce.  Continue cooking until all ingredients are hot.




When crust is cool use a 4 inch round cookie cutter to cut out the mini pizza crusts, discard excess and leaving 6 rounds in place.  Top each crust with sauce, cheese and desired toppings.  Since I didn't do the mini thing, I just cut the crust into squares and topped with my desired toppings and added Mozzarella cheese!  It was yummy!  I would have probably used Prego Spaghetti Sauce if I had it, but since I didn't I used a can tomato sauce and so happy it turned out that way because the bratwurst really gave it good flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment