Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Test Kitchen!

This last weekend while visiting my in-laws, my mother-in-law Kathy and I decided to make up some recipes that is in the back of the Wheat Belly book.  We chose a dark chocolate and peanut butter fudge, Apple Walnut "bread", Cheesecake w/nut crust, Ranch Dressing and a Flaxseed Wrap.

This happened to be the day that we both decided to use a stand mixer for the very first time.  Oh yeah... and we didn't have an instruction booklet.  Needless to say we got some ingredients in there and flipped it on to "beat".  Well that bowl went flyin' around so fast we totally thought it was going to fling off and hit the wall, or some unsuspecting husband that might come around the corner!  The ingredients were uncomfortably close to the top of the mixing bowl.  We scrambled to turn the thing off and couldn't find the switch!  Luckily we had the mental fortitude to yank the plug!  We eventually tamed the mixer and finished our first recipe.

We did have some real winners in the bunch.  The Ranch Dressing was awesome and I will totally be making that for dips as well as fresh salads.  I'm already thinking on ways to make it "TexMex"!

The Flaxseed Wrap was interesting because you mix it up and make one wrap at a time in the microwave in a glass pie pan.  It wasn't really flexible enough to use as a wrap, but then I think we nuked it too long in the microwave.  After returning to Indiana, I decided to double the Wrap recipe and pour it into an 8"x8" square glass pan.  I nuked it at 3 minutes and it came out softer, more pliable and thicker!  This TOTALLY is a great substitute for sandwich bread!  In fact, I sent my hubby off to work with a big turkey breast sandwich with mayo and romaine lettuce.

Upon giving my mom a taste of the Flaxseed Wrap she asked me "what kind of bread is that and how did you slice it so nicely?"  It does look like bread and works like it too!  This recipe has potential for being modified with different spices for whatever mood you are in.  I plan to play around with it myself in the future.

The peanut butter fudge was very intense, some may want to call it bitter.  But it is more cocoa and less sugar (in this case Truvia).  It gets stiff quickly while mixing and sets up nicely.  My mother-in-law and my hubby liked it after it sat for a while.  They are not typically people that like the high cocoa content candy.  I'm use to 85%-90% cocoa bars... so of course I like the fudge.

The cheesecake... well that did turn out nicely, but with one hitch.  I accidentally put cinnamon in the filling and it was only suppose to be in the crust.  We also used low fat sour cream which may have had an affect on the taste as well.  My hubby wasn't too thrilled at first, but after it was chilled in the fridge he said he kind of liked it.  He did however ask me to leave out the cinnamon next time!

The Apple Walnut "Bread".  This wasn't bad either, but it didn't call for any sweetener.  People that are off wheat and gluten tend to have a sweet sensitivity, but people still eating wheat may not think it is sweet enough.  I liked it, but felt it needed a touch of sweetener.  I did see potential in it.  I ate it with yogurt and fruit.  WARNING do not eat this bread with pineapples and yogurt!  Pineapples are very sweet and makes the bread taste very bland.  I shouldn't be eating pineapples anyway because of the sugar content in them, but... I love them and once in a while wont be so bad.  :-)

Following is the Flaxseed Wrap recipe

3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds ( I used milled flaxseed I purchased at the store)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
pinch of sea salt or celery salt
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted, plus more for greasing the pan
1 tablespoon water
1 large egg
Microwave-safe pie pan

Mix together the ground flaxseeds, baking powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt in a small bowl.  Stir in the 1 tablespoon coconut oil.  Beat in the egg and 1 tablespoon water until blended.

Grease microwave-safe glass pie pan.  Spread batter evenly over the bottom.  Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.  Time may very.  Let cool for 5 minutes.  Use a spatula to flip it over onto a plate and top with desired ingredients

TO MAKE "FLAXSEED BREAD SLICES"
double the above recipe.  Use an 8"x8" square glass pan.  Nuke in microwave about 3 minutes (times may very depending on microwaves).  After cooling, cut into 4 "slices".


No comments:

Post a Comment