Monday, August 27, 2012

Variety's Demand & Sweet/Sour Cucumber Salad

After being taken down by some Wheat Germ in my peanut butter for 5 days last week, I think I'm recovering from the constant urge to eat for no reason.  Turns out the peanut butter/Chocolate fudge, from the week prior, had NO WHEAT in it and my nibblefest of that was just me being a chocolate freak and urging on it.

I've hit a wall though.  The urge to eat for no reason may be gone, but I've hit that place where variety is now very much NEEDED.  There is only so long you can go eating variations of the same flavors and you have to start mixing things up a bit.  Now I like a fresh salad and dippin' my veggies in the homemade ranch dressing with some cheese on the side, but it's not cutting it all the time.

Over the weekend we went to Applebees', they have a nice variety on their Wheat & Gluten Allergy menues,  and then after we ended up buying some Turkey Hill  ice cream at Kroger.  Although Turkey Hill has refined sugar, it only has 4 other ingredients that you can pronounce and actually know what they are:  Cream, nonfat milk, sugar, vanilla, vanilla beans.  Shouldn't have gotten the ice-cream... but gave in to the crave.

I fell off the wagon yet again yesterday but not with wheat, just a craving again.  I had a 32 oz. diet Coke... I just wanted something carbonated and justified it because it didn't have sugar in it.  I suppose once in a blue moon this is ok, but  boy did I pay for it!  I was up all night and hit the bed about 6:45am.  My mood is still low and I find myself irritable as well as some aches and pains coming back.  Didn't think it was this bad the first time around when I ditched the wheat.  I guess I'm having more withdrawal symptoms and cravings at this go-around.

FOUND A GREAT ITEM at Sam's club.  It was a package of Feta & Spinach Chicken burgers (gluten-free).  It was a bit pricey, but cheaper then going out to eat.  We decided to get them due to the late hour and that pressing need of variety.  They were very good and I hope to recreate them myself.  


I served them with Sweet/Sour Cucumber Salad

1 large or 2 small cucumbers thinly sliced
3 onions, thinly sliced
3 tbsp sugar (or equiv. sweetener)
5-6 tbsp white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
2-3 tbsp wate2-3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
salt

Mix together slices of onion and cucumber, season with salt and toss until well combined.  Leave in a cool place for 5-10 minutes.  Add the sugar, vinegar (your choice), water and chopped dill to the cucumber mixture.  Toss together until combined, then chill for a few hours until ready to serve.

Here is the label from the burgers from Sam's Club








No comments:

Post a Comment