Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Olive Garden and Gluten Free

Yeah... Olive Garden restaurant and Wheat-free/Gluten Free living.  It is possible?  

The hubby and I went there last night to use a gift card we've had for a while.  I asked for a gluten-free menu and was happy to see more then just a couple options.  So I began to think that eating out at Olive Garden might not be so bad and a possible destination in the future if we got another gift card one day.

I will admit.  $25 doesn't really cut it there for a meal.  Our entrees were $28 and some change and we just drank water.   I'm not complaining, mind you, just an observation to let you know.  

I forgot how nice it is inside the OG.  Transporting you to an Italian villa without leaving Indiana.  No passport needed!  Our wait staff was awesome and very nice.  They were very eager to make our gluten-free experience great.  

We ordered the Penne Rigate Pomodoro  w/chicken and the Penne Rigate with Marinara  w/chicken.  These are gluten-free and made with starches to replace the wheat.  Gluten-free products can be a problem all unto themselves if consumed all the time.  They will spike your blood glucose levels and you can look all the gory details up online or I'll post about that another time.  This post is about The Olive Garden.

I must say the entrees were good.  Not bad to be gluten-free.  The penne might be a little firmer then maybe what most people like.  Not as soft and squishy as pasta made from wheat.  My hubby and I liked it.  I especially LOVED the Penne Rigate Pomodoro.  Oh yes it was delicious.  The Marinara was good, but in comparison the Pomodoro kicked its butt!

Gluten-free penne fallout?  
There may have been some fallout, but I am uncertain if it was the penne.  Today I experienced a... well.. how to put this delicately... a mild laxative affect.  Ok, yeah not thrilling to hear or me to tell, but this might be handy for some to know.  For lunch I ate some of the leftovers and then sometime after that I did experience some rumblings and perhaps a touch of gas (in my stomach).  I don't know for certain if it was the gluten-free pasta that did this, but I would try it again in the future just to see.

Overall.  
The Olive Garden staff in Castleton (Indiana) was awesome and very gracious with our needs.  Gluten-Free Penne Rigate Pomodoro kicked butt in flavor.  It didn't seem to keep me full though as much as a protein and veggie meal does.  I would recommend it as a splurge for lunch as opposed to a dinner due to the starches used in the noodles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment