Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kitchen Trek. Boldly Go!

"So what's left to eat?" My husband asked me that question with panic and slight exasperation in his voice.

Well I'll tell you like I told him PLENTY!  The cool thing is is that when you eat real food (non processed) your options are NOT limited.  You are only limited by your own imagination or possible other dietary restrictions you may have.  We don't eat pork or shellfish.  I also try to avoid cooking red meat and dairy up together.  So that may sound limiting enough and then we take out the wheat.  Oh boy!

You just get to be creative and explore new territories.  Think of it like Kitchen Trek and boldly go where you've not gone before!

Luckily we like veggies and salads and that kind of jazz.  I just can't be lazy and throw up the same fresh salad all the time.  Let's face it.  No matter how much you like something if you eat it over and over can get old.  Also a slab of meat with cooked veggies on the side - BORING.  So... let the creativity flow!

Besides ditching "Frakengrain", as Dr. Davis likes to call wheat in his book Wheat Belly, we are watching out for foods that spike glucose since the hubby is pre-diabetic and I'm 3 points from it.  Dr. Davis doesn't think it's a bad idea for everyone to limit those foods (notice limit doesn't mean give up altogether).

Today I started out making a "Sunday Brunch Casserole"... but ended up morphing it into a Cheeseburger Pie like thing.  Not sure how it will turn out, but isn't that half the fun?

Here's what I did.  Can't really give you the recipe because I just sort of took the recipe and tweeked it as I went.  So, anyway... here is what I did.

Whacked Out Cheeseburger Pie
Browned 1 lb Turkey sausage, threw 1 small onion and a medium sized red bell pepper and cooked a bit longer.  I threw in some Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, salt and pepper.

In a bowl I mixed up 1 cup of milk with 3 large eggs.  I threw in some more pepper, garlic and onion powder.  I poured that into the pan with the meat and veggies after I took it of the heat.  I added 3 cups of cheese ( ok, I really just eyballed it and didn't measure).  I stirred everything up.

I poured that into a glass pie pan.  I thought it looked a little drab so I cut up some fresh cilantro and sprinkled that on top and popped it into the oven on 350 degrees.
It's been cooking about a half hour so far.

My stove has like time warped from the 1970's so I have no idea on cook times to suggest to you.  But I will say that a regular cheeseburger pie recipe that I have says 15-20 minutes.  I just keep checking.

In a bit I'm going to make
 Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad
1 large or  2 small cucumbers (thinly sliced)
3 onions ( I just have 1 huge one I'm going to use)
3 tbsp sugar
5-6 tbsp white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
2-3 tbsp water
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
salt

1. mix together cucumbers and onions.  Season with salt and toss together until thoroughly combined.  let stand in a cool place for 5-10 minutes.

2. Add the sugar, white wine or cider vinegar, water and chopped dill to the cucumber mixture.  Toss together until well combined, then chill for a few hours or until ready to serve.

Ok... not too thrilled about the sugar, but I think as long as we haven't eaten any high glucose spiking foods when we eat it, then it should be ok.  Afterall, we are not eating wheat and wheat is worse then sugar when it comes to that!

I just pulled the Whacky Pie out of the oven to cool... just to put it back in on warm before the hubby gets home.  Now... time for cucumber salad.  I hope everything tastes good.  Stay tuned!









No comments:

Post a Comment