Friday, September 21, 2012

Tofu: Quick and Easy Spaghetti

With 12 blocks of tofu sitting in my fridge with a "sell by" date quickly approaching, I had to do something, but what?  I didn't have any recipes, let alone a clue, as to what to do with it!

So, hello internet.  I found out that most people prefer the texture change in tofu after it has been frozen... something about it becoming more chewy?  Ok.. you can freeze it, awesome.  I'm into that!  So I followed the instructions I found and pressed out the water and vacuum sealed them individually and threw 10 blocks in the freezer.   I saved 2 blocks from the freezing process and plan to turn one, if not two, of them into Tofu Chocolate Mousse.  Oh yeah, you knew it had to be something with chocolate first off didn't you!  But since I don't have all those ingredients yet, I gotta wait.

As for the Shiritaki noodles and the off-brand tofu noodles I had purchased, I put the off-brand to good use.  I also discovered that they are VERY handy when you want something fast and convenient.

So the dry packaged, off-brand tofu noodles got turned into spaghetti with the help of some Prego sauce and my stovetop.   It wasn't as flavorful as I would have liked upon cooking them up that first night.  Fortune would have it that after marinating in the sauce overnight for leftovers the next day they were "really good" in my hubby's words.  The texture was a bit chewier then regular pasta, but that doesn't bother me or my hubby a bit.  So I will remember that next time I make this spaghetti, I will try to let them marinate in the sauce before I actually cook them up in order to kick up the flavor a notch or two.

You have no idea how happy this makes me to discover this quick and easy meal idea!!!




 I feel so liberated to be able to use my pasta recipes now that I have this great substitute for regular pasta!   I also LOVE the fact they are packed with protein and nutrients whereas regular pasta is just empty calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment