Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Bacon Crusted Veggie Quiche

This recipe got two thumbs up from me and my hubby.  We no longer eat pork so I substituted the bacon for turkey bacon.  Turkey bacon didn't really keep it's crunch after I baked this quiche, so if it is crunch you are looking for.... you might want to go with the pork.
The fun of recipes are tweeking them to make them your own!  I will be

Bacon Crusted Veggie Quiche

16 strips (1 lb) of bacon cooked through but not too crisp. (I subbed turkey bacon)
1 cup Swiss Cheese
1 cup Sour Cream
4 eggs
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 small onion ( I had 1 heaping cup already diced and just used that)
2 plum tomatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees

Line a 9 or 10-inch pie dish with bacon strips while still hot. Cut off any excess bacon that hangs over. Chop the excess and set aside.  (I didn't have 16 strips to use so I just lined the bottom with no excess to trim)


In a medium bowl combine eggs, sour cream, salt and pepper until well mixed but not foamy.  Add zucchini, onions, mushrooms, chopped bacon, and Swiss cheese. (At the last minute I realized I only had 1 mushroom, so I added Red Bell Pepper)
Pour slowly into pie plate over bacon.


Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, roughly 24-30 minutes.


Remove from heat. Top with sliced tomatoes and brush with olive oil.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place under broiler until golden brown.  (I skipped this step because I ran out of Parmesan cheese and as for the tomatoes, I served a big salad with them on the side)

Serve warm.  I served mine with a big side salad. 

SORRY the picture is on it's side. I don't know how to flip it using this blogsite software.  I'll make sure I don't take vertical pictures again!


No comments:

Post a Comment