Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Beans!!!!!

So as you know my question before was:  "How do I keep my husband from loosing weight if I don't throw wholegrains at him anymore at mealtimes?"

Some years back I watched a friend loose a BUNCH of weight and this girl didn't even exercise regularly.  Her trick was Somersizing (aka: Food Combining).  I immediately got the books and started applying the principles I had learned.  I kept a VAST majority of the weight off because I had LEARNED about food (until some medications and a wedding was introduced into my life).  I LOVED Somersizing.  NO counting calories, eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full.  Eat a variety of wonderful REAL food and give up the junk.  AND... don't mix carbs with proteins!!!!  THAT was the major key.   You could have carbs with veggies, but NOT with protein in the weight loss phase.  SO.. lazy me just gave up the carbs all together so I didn't have to deal with accidental mixing.  So, I was conditioned to always remember that to loose weight avoid mixing carbs and proteins.

When I picked up my Somersizing recipe books, there was the answer to my question.  BEANS!!!!
I don't know why, but somehow I eventually just associated beans as a protein and NOT a carb, but actually they are a carb & protein (they are classified as a carb on the program).  AWESOME!  My hubby will not turn into Skelatore afterall.  Meanwhile, I feel like a complete idiot for thinking beans were ONLY a protein.

Carbs to remember:
Yogurt (this will be great to make salad dressings or dips)

Other food items to note that are both protein & carbs are:
Nuts
Olives
Liver
Avocados
Coconuts
Soy
Low-Fat or whole fat soy milk
Low-Fat or Whole milk
Low-fat or full fat rice milk
Buttermilk

Since we are still living out of boxes at our new apartment, we haven't exactly been entirely wheatless yet.  Trying to get it together is a bit of a focus and eating easy seems to be the order of the day.  Between the donuts, pizza and $1 McDonald's burgers (over the past few days) we have yet to exile wheat totally.  I also have a box of Bisquick and 10 assorted boxes of whole wheat penne, spaghetti and macaroni on my shelf.  I do hate to waste anything yet am resisting the urge to cook it.

Tonight we are probably going for the Turkey sausages I defrosted and some veggies.  Yeah... sounds boring, I know.  I'd like to throw a cookie in there somewhere.  Oh yes a big chocolate chip one sounds good right about now.

Meanwhile, I'll be going through cookbooks to find interesting meals that wont bore our palette.   I have seen some, but moving expenses have lessened the cooking budget.



No comments:

Post a Comment